What's in My Skincare? Aloe Vera Extract

What's in My Skincare? Aloe Vera Extract

Aloe Vera Extract – The healing power of the “Plant of Immortality”!

The plant of Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis) has been known for decades, dating back to ancient Egypt where it was called the “plant of immortality”. Back then it was used as herbal medicine, for the healing of wounds and as a beauty elixir by the Egyptian royalty. Nowadays Aloe Vera Extract is one of the most common and widely studied ingredients in personal care products – it can be found listed at the back of almost every product you use daily – starting from cleansers and toners and ending at serums and advanced treatments for all kinds of skin concerns.

The short-stemmed shrub belongs to the family ofXanthorrhoeaceae and is grown in subtropical and tropical regions like South Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, Mexico, etc. It has thick, fleshy leaves, green to grey-green, with some varieties showing white flecks on their upper and lower stem surfaces. The leaves contain a great variety of phytochemicals and nutrients that can benefit the condition of your skin.

Vitamins and Minerals found in Aloe Vera Extract

It wouldn’t surprise you that Aloe Vera consists of 99% water. The remaining 1%, however, is a very concentrated mixture of vitamins (A, C, E, B12,B9), minerals (sodium, chromium, calcium, chlorine, magnesium, copper, zinc, selenium, etc.), various sugars (mono and polysaccharides), enzymes, amino acids (20 of the 22 your body needs) and salicylic acid (known for its anti-inflammatory properties). This incredibly powerful cocktail of bio-actives compounds has the ability to act on a cellular level because the Aloe Vera extract is easily absorbed by the skin – your skin literally “drinks” it.


  • Aloe gel can both be consumed and applied topically and is often used as a treatment for minor burns
  • Aloe Vera gel can be used as a natural makeup remover
  • Cleopatra used Aloe Vera gel as part of her beauty regime

What is Aloe Vera Gel Used For?

Aloe Vera extract possesses impressive moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, healing and soothing properties that are the reason it is often called “the miraculous plant”. It is used for treating eczema, dry flaky skin, sunburns, hyperpigmentation, irritations and small wounds, not only because it aids the regenerating processes but also because of the refreshing sensation it provides and the fact that it is very well tolerated by the skin. It’s apowerful ally in the fight with acne, because it helps reduce inflammation and redness, preventing further infections.

Aloe Vera in Your Skincare

Thanks to its richness in polysaccharides Aloe Vera Extract retains the water in the deeper layers of the skin, acting as a water-binding agent, restoring your skin’s natural moisture which keeps it hydrated for longer and makes it look fresh and healthy. Aloe Vera extract also stimulates collagen and elastin synthesis, improving skin’s elasticity, making it smoother and reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Last but not least, the powerful antioxidants found in the Aloe Vera extract slow down the aging process and prevent premature aging, by protecting the cells from free radicals.


Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.